If you are aware of news about water filtration, you probably heard a lot of people promoting alkaline water. It cost a few thousand of dollars to own a Kengen Water Ionizer machine.
Bottle of alkaline water always cost more than the natural spring water in store.
What is so good about alkaline water? In this post, we will explore everything that you should know about alkaline water including its benefits, side effects and how to make it at home.
What Is Alkaline Water?
In layman terms, alkaline water is defined as water which is having pH above 7. Some examples of liquid which has alkaline characteristics are sea water, baking and bleach.
Typically, drinkable alkaline water has a pH between 8-9. Anything above pH 10 are not advisable to consume as it might neutralise the acid in our body.
Apart from pH, alkaline water has a low or negative Oxidation Reduction Potential, also known as ORP. ORP is a measurement which indicates whether a substance is a reducing or oxidation agent.
Alkaline water is a reducing or anti-oxidation agent which donates electrons to unstable and harmful free radical and neutralize it.
The pH scale below shows the common items in our lives which has different pH level.
Types Of Alkalinization
There are two separate ways to make to increase the pH of the normal tap water.
- Natural: Rain water that passes through the ground and soil will pick up minerals naturally. Minerals such as calcium and magnesium will increase the pH of the tap water.
Alkaline water filter normally contains natural stones which remineralized the water as it flow through the canister.
- Artificial: Water is channel to an electrolysis process which altered the water molecules.
Scientifically, pH 7 water is derived from a balance of positive hydrogen ions (H+) and negative hydroxyl ions (OH-) ions. Alkaline water will have a greater concentration of OH- ions while acidic water will have more H+ ions.
Minerals That Contribute To Alkaline Water
In a natural remineralization, there are a few minerals which will turn the normal tap water to alkaline water. These minerals are known to be beneficial to our body.
- Calcium – Good for bones and helps on Osteoporosis.
- Silica – Natural anti-inflammatory that helps to keep nails, teeth and hair robust and healthy
- Potassium – Maintain consistent blood pressure and surpress effects on sodium.
- Magnesium – Helps on bone formation.
- Bicarbonate – Relieve heartburn, indigestion and ulcer pain.
Alkaline Water Benefits
There is not enough scientific evidences yet to support that alkaline water is beneficial to our body. However, there are various studies that had been conducted to test proof the claims.
On one research that was done on rats, alkaline water has an impact on weight loss as compared to a controlled rat which only expose to normal tap water.
Another studies suggested that alkaline diet with fruits and vegetables has some impact in reducing chronic disease when ageing.
Despite the limited research and studies, many advocates strongly believe in that alkaline water has a strong positive impact
- Neutralise Body Acid: Alkaline water helps to neutralise the acidic that normally found in our food that we consume.
- Nutrient Absorption: Alkaline water will enable the probiotic bacteria to contribute on absorbing nutrients in small intestines while fighting with the harmful bacteria.
- Water Taste: The taste of alkaline water is more refreshing with a slight sweetness as compared to tap water. It will enhance the flavour of tea and coffee by using alkaline water.
- Antioxidant: With a negative ORP, the harmful free radical will be neutralise by the negative electrons in the water. It reduces the risk of cancer.
- Hyper-Hydration: The water molecules for alkaline water is relatively smaller as compared to normal tap water. This will help on absorption and replenishment of water in our body.
- Immune System: The antioxidant agent and alkalinity of the water helps to increase the immune system to fight against bad bacteria.
- Weight Loss: As shown on the studies above, it has helps on weight loss.
- Boost Metabolism: Due to easy absorption, it will increase metabolism by re-hydrating with alkaline water after workout.
Potential Risk For Alkaline Water
Nothing is perfect, everything comes with a potential disadvantage or risk. Again, the risk was not scientifically proven. Here are some of the potential danger for drinking too much alkaline water.
- Decrease Stomach Acidity: Overdose in alkaline water will neutralize the acidity in Rainwaterstomach. If the acidity is neutralized, bacteria such as pathogens will enter the bloodstream causing various illness such as diarrhea.
- Gastrointestinal Issues: Mainly due to metabolic alkalosis issue which is the pH of tissue increased to more than
normalrange. It might causesillness such as tetany and abnormal heart rhythms.
How To Make Alkaline Water
Alkaline water has been portrayed to be a premium choice for healthy drinking water. Bottled water and water ionizers are the best choice for all. However, it is unaffordable for many.
The diagram below shows 5 different methods that can be used to make alkaline water at home.
Baking soda and lemon are some of the household essential items which can turn regular tap water into alkaline water. They are easily accessible and affordable.
One of the major drawback is it required time for preparation to produce alkaline water.
pH drops and water pitchers are one of the best way to create alkaline water in an affordable way. It is fast and virtually doesn’t need any preparation ahead to enjoy a glass of alkaline water.
In addition, water pitcher will provide basic filtration of sediments and contaminants such as chlorine found on tap water.
Water ionizer is one of the most expensive option for producing alkaline water. A basic water ionizer cost at least $700.
However, the water produced by water ionizer
Based on the facts listed above, it is clearly seen that the benefits of alkaline water outweigh its risks. Minerals in alkaline water are proven to be beneficial to our body.
It is RECOMMENDED to drink alkaline water in a natural way instead of from water ionizer.
Check out the complete infographics below: