Product : Morton M30
Type : Salt-based Water Softener
Product Warranty : up to 10 years
Suitable For : Hard Water
- Reviews by Existing Customers
- Filtration Effectiveness
- Quality of the Product
- Maintenance and Replacement
- Installation Easiness
- Cost Effective (Price/Value)
The Morton System Saver M30 Water Softener is a high-tech offering that aims to solve a problem plaguing many homeowners across the country. Its technological features and smart design deserve praise, but its performance leaves a lot to be desired. Take the extra time to look for a different water softener or water filter because this Morton creation is NOT RECOMMENDED.
Morton Salt, a Chicago-based company that has been offering different products to Americans since 1848, is best known for their wide array of salt products used for cooking. Over the years, the company has branched out and diversified its offering to include pool salts, ice and snow melters, as well as water softeners.
Morton M30 Water Softener Review
As you would expect from a product created by a reputable brand such as Morton, the System Saver M30 Water Softener is outfitted with some impressive features.
Chief among them is the “Look Ahead” technology utilized in Morton’s selection of water softeners. Basically, the “Look Ahead” feature will study and learn your soft water usage patterns so that it can accurately predict how much of that resource you will need later on.
The “Look Ahead” feature is useful not just because it’s convenient and does a lot of the work for you. It also helps you cut down on how much water softening salt you need to use regularly.
Another feature of the M30 Water Softener that’s worth highlighting is its compact design. Even if you don’t have a ton of room to spare in your basement or whichever spot in your home you’ll be using to house this water softener, it should fit in easily.
The high water flow rate that is over 11 gallons per minute is similarly helpful because it prevents the interruption of service.
Unfortunately, this water softener does impact the taste of tap water. The resulting flavor is still palatable, but not exactly pleasant.
Here are the specs of the Morton System Saver M30 Water Softener that you need to know:
- Rated Softening Capacity: 13,200 @ 2.9 lbs, 25,500 @ 8.0 lbs, 30,000 @13.1 lbs
- Water Supply Maximum Hardness: 95 gpg
- Minimum Water Pressure Limit: 20 psi
- Maximum Water Pressure Limit: 125 psi
- Water Temperature Working Range: 40 – 120 F (4-49 C)
- Minimum Water Supply Flow Rate: 3 gpm
- Maximum Drain Flow Rate: 2.2 gpm
How It Works
Because of the way it’s designed, you don’t have to do much to get the M30 Water Softener working.
As soon as you get this water softener installed in your home, you can set it up so that it can start to do its job. Begin by setting the time of day because that’s integral to the way this water softener functions.
You should then set a specific water hardness number for this appliance. Remember to take into account iron content if that is indeed present in your water supply.
Next, select a recharge time. This should be a time when no one is expected to be using the water. Finish up by selecting the sea salt efficiency level.
You can pretty much just follow the user manual included with the M30 Water Softener and the installation process should prove simple enough. However, it is worth noting that not all of the components you need are included in the box.
To be more specific, you may have to purchase some new tubing, fittings, and a drain pipe. Make sure you have the money set aside to cover those additional supplies.
Important Maintenance Tips
- The M30 Water Softener does not really work well with non-Morton brand water softening salts. You will have to stick to that brand if you get this product.
- Manufacturers recommend checking on the salt every two to three weeks.
- If you notice that the salt level is below a quarter full, add in some new salt.
- Sharp tools should not be used within the water softener.
- You are also advised not to smack the exterior of the tank.
Pros and Cons
No Morton water softener review would be complete without the pros and cons, so here they are.
Verdict: NOT RECOMMENDED!
The convenience, high power potential, and compact design of Morton’s M30 Water Softener work to make it a very enticing purchase in many respects. However, as you’ve read in this Morton water softener review, there are simply some shortcomings that are difficult to overlook.
- If you can splurge on this product, you might as well go for a water filter.
- The tap water it produces is not something you will want to drink often.
- It should offer more components out of the box.
The Morton 30,000 Grain Water Softener is a high-tech offering that aims to solve a problem plaguing many homeowners across the country. Its technological features and smart design deserve praise, but its performance leaves a lot to be desired. Take the extra time to look for a different water softener or water filter because this Morton creation is Not Recommended.