Product: Whirlpool WHELJ1
Type: Whole House Water Filter
Filtration Stage: 2 Stages
Product Warranty: 1 year
Suitable For: City Water Source
Looking for a better whole house water filter? Check out our latest guide to the best whole house water filter that we recommend.
Whirlpool is a well-known household brand which produces various appliances such as dishwasher, refrigerator, water filter and many more.
One of Whirlpool whole house water filter is the WHELJ1, also known as the central water filtration system.
In this review, we will talk about:
- Detailed review of the Whirlpool whole house water filtration system WHELJ1.
- Verdict & Summary
Detailed Review of Whirlpool WHELJ1
Whirlpool has a unique technology filtration when it comes to the WHELJ1 which is totally different from 99% of the whole house water filter in the market.
Trademark FilterSense Technology
The Whirlpool WHELJ1 uses a bed of activated carbon and sediment filter as the base of the filtration system.
As shown in the diagram below, the water from the inlet of the system passes through a bed activated carbon, fine sediment filter, and a quarts underbedding before going out to your home.
Maintenance Free System
Here comes the best part. The system is controlled electronically to clean itself every 14 days. It is claimed by Whirlpool that using this method, it reduces the maintenance and replacement of the filter cartridge.
The self-cleaning schedule is adjustable according to the needs of the homeowner.
Due to its self-cleaning mechanism, the Whirlpool WHELJ1 is able to constantly maintain high in water pressure as it will not be clogged with contaminants.
With that, the system is claimed to be last for 10 years.
2 Stages Filtration System Breakdown
The Whirlpool WHELJ1 whole house water filter comes with 2 different filtration stages:
Special Carbon Media – Reduce the taste and odor of chlorine from water source.
Fine Sediment Filter – Remove rust, dirt, sands and any huge particles which are larger than 40 microns.
The Whirlpool WHELJ1 whole house water filter installation is not easy. In this case, you will need some basic knowledge of plumbing to finish the job.
Some of the extra tools that you need before installation:
- 3 Bypass valve
- PVC or Copper pipes
- Pipe Connectors
- Pressure gauge or Pressure Regulator (as needed)
Refer to the installation guide before you get started will speed up the installation process.
+ Self Cleaning Filter Technology
+ Maintenance Free System
+ Filter lasted for 10 years.
– Filter quality just met the minimum standard.
– Required electricity to operate.
– Not suitable for rigorous water conditions.
– Low Flow Rate.
Warranty: 1 years on parts and labor, 3 years on electronics, 10 years on the tank.
System Dimensions: 33”h x 13”w x 15”d
Water Pressure: PSI 30 – 125 PSI
Water Temperature: 40˚ – 100˚F
Should You Get This? This filter improves the chlorine taste and odor from your source water. This system is the best suit for people who buy the system and don’t bother to replace the filter.
Verdict: Not Recommended!
With this filtration specification, it is a below average system for a few reasons:
- Only Filters Chlorine: Most whole house water filter in the market can filter more chemical contaminants such as mercury, iron and lead while the Whirlpool WHELJ1 only filter chlorine.
- Low-Quality Carbon Filter: The Whirlpool WHELJ1 is only able to remove 82.8% of chlorine on average. Check out the performance data sheet.
- Non Effective Sediment Filter: Fine sediment filter is not as fine as others. In fact, the Home Master Whole House Water Filter can go as fine as 1 micron which is 40 times smaller.
- Low Flow Rate: The flow rate is just 6 GPM which is extremely low as compared to other filters.
I hated to condemn on water filters, but the quality just not up to the standard.
More Info and Question
If you are looking for a water filter that gets rids of heavy chlorine taste and smell, the iSpring WGB32B Carbon Water Filter System is doing a great job. It has a double carbon filter preventing chlorine from entering your home.
Let me know in the comment section below if you are not convinced of the quality of the Whirlpool whole house water filter system. I am more than happy to address your concern.